Every Tuesday we send out an email to every employee with information from the district This email...
The next Wellness Challenge is Meditation Master and it begins November 1st!
This is an easy individual challenge of meditation for 5 minutes a day until you reach 150 minutes for 30 days.
What exactly is meditation? It is the practice of focusing or clearing your mind by using a combination of mental and physical techniques. You can use meditation to relax, reduce anxiety and stress and so much more. There is no one correct way to meditate.
How do I meditate? Meditation is simpler than most people think.
- Take a seat – find a place to sit that feels calm and quiet to you.
- Set a time limit – If you are a beginner choose a shorter time, 5 or 10 minutes.
- Notice your body – You can sit with your feet on the ground, you can sit cross-legged on the floor, or kneel. Just make sure you are stable and comfortable.
- Feel your breath – follow the sensation of your breath as it goes in and out.
- Notice when your mind wanders – Inevitably, your attention will wander, simply return your attention back to your breathing.
- Be kind to your wandering mind – Don’t judge yourself when your mind wanders, just come back.
- Close with kindness – When you’re ready, gently lift your gaze and take a moment to notice any sounds, how your body feels, and what are your thoughts and emotions.
That is all it is! You focus your attention, your mind wanders, you bring it back and you try to do it as kindly as possible.