Last Tuesday, February 11, was the monthly School Board meeting The following topics were...
The Utah Division of oil, gas, and mining & Loose in the Lab invite you to teach your students… Utah Geology for Utah Kids Science that Rocks!
A hands-on geology program. Lab books, materials, instruction – all free! Created specifically for Utah’s schools.
September 26 4pm-7:30pm at the Grandview Learning Center. Seats for 10 teachers available. First come, first served.
- 3 hours of non-stop hands-on labs and demos. Labs that will enrich your 4th grade science curriculum as well as prepare for the SAGE test.
- Participate in and learn 18 exciting experiments and demos that support the Utah state core.
- Learn how to set up and manage a classroom lab that reinforces the scientific method and lab safety
- Test preparation ideas to get you and your kids ready
Each teacher will receive
- 1 kid-tested teacher friendly reproducible 160 page Teacher edition which contains 18 lab activities and demos, complete lesson plans, and integrated curriculum ideas
- 1 thumb drive with all info
- 1 box full of PD materials to use at the workshop. Then take it home and play some more.
- 1 classroom kit with enough science equipment, chemicals, geology specimens, minerals and fossils to teach a classroom full of kids. Everyone gets to play!
- 6 monthly newsletters, instructional videos, and more!
Your Geology Lab Guide Features
- 18 hands-on lab activities matched specifically to Utah’s 4th grade geology core.
- Every rock comes from the state of Utah and the formations and locations are referenced in the text. Color key included.
- Each lab has a teacher prep section, student lab instructions, student assessment with answers, and lots of cartoons.
- Complete lesson plans walk you through each unit, day by day with kid-tested, teacher friendly activities that build vocabulary and reinforce science concepts.
- Lessons include fully integrated, cross-curricular activities that incorporate art, PE, theatre, writing, Utah history, geography, and ethics to create a well-rounded program.
Your Classroom Kit…
- Includes over 320 specimens all from Utah, lots of each rock, mineral and fossil you’ll use.
- Everyone plays! Chemicals, science equipment, and supplies for 30 kids. Basically all the stuff you see up there will be yours.
- Supplies for each of the demos that you will present
- Easy to maintain, inexpensive to fill. We’ll show you how.
Author & Speaker
Bryce Hixson is a nationally recognized author and speaker in the field of science education. A former elementary and middle school science specialist, he has presented hundreds of workshops to thousands of teachers throughout the country over the last 28 years, including many standing-room-only presentations at state and national science teacher conventions.
He is the author and presenter of the IMCC National Award winning Utah Geology for Utah Kids!, the 4th grade program sponsored by DOGM. He also wrote and supports the Discovery Gateway Chemistry Outreach program for Utah 5th grade students and teachers. He lives in Sandy, Utah with his wife and still feeds his four kids every Sunday. He is the author and presenter of the IMCC National Award winning Utah Geology for Utah Kids!, the 4th grade program sponsored by DOGM. He also wrote and supports the Discovery Gateway Chemistry Outreach program for Utah 5th grade students and teachers. He lives in Sandy, Utah with his wife and still feeds his four kids every Sunday.
Utah Geology for Utah Kids Flyer.