February is Career and Technical Education (CTE) month. This year’s theme is, “I am CTE.” Goals of CTE Month are as follows:
1. Inform students about the importance of choosing a CTE Career Pathway;
2. Increase student knowledge about careers, as well as the education and training required for specific careers;
3. Strengthen student engagement through the Plan for College and Career Readiness (PCCR);
4. Encourage parent involvement that increases their awareness of available CTE programs in our district;
5. Promote discussion of postsecondary options.
For nearly a century, Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs across the United States have focused on equipping students with technical and life skills to help them successfully enter today’s workforce. During the month of February we will be spotlighting some of the great CTE programs our schools have to offer.
In the state of Utah, there are 15 Career Clusters with 55 Career Pathways. Career and Technical Education Pathways show students a direct connection between doing well in high school and being able to transition smoothly to postsecondary opportunities or getting a good job when they graduate. Students who focus on a Pathway acquire the skills necessary for entry into well-paid careers with high potential for rapid financial growth, increased levels of responsibility, and a high degree of personal satisfaction.
While not a graduation requirement, choosing a Career Pathway is a way to help clarify goals, provide purpose and relevance to your elective course selections, and prepare you to succeed in post high school education and in the workplace.
Join us as we celebrate our CTE programs here in Provo throughout the month of February.
If you have a CTE story, please let us know. We would love to share your stories!