Every Tuesday we send out an email to every employee with information from the district This email...
Understanding Empathy Through Art
District Art Teacher,
We are excited to announce this year’s District Communication Art Contest! Art teachers who choose to register their school will receive an art supply budget of $100 (per school) to purchase whatever art supplies you feel will best serve your students on this project. We would love to have you join us and see the awesome, inspiring work your students produce!
- Inspire fun and creative expression while assisting a deeper understanding of the need for empathy in our community
- Establish a community partnership to promote a deeper understanding of empathy
- Create community empathy understanding posters using the winning artwork
Students will be asked to create artwork that deepens understanding of the need for empathy. The artwork can be done in any medium that the art teacher and student choose. It is important to note that we will need to be able to create posters out of the winning entries. If you teach performing arts we would love for you to join us and will find ways to feature your student’s performance art on our social media.
- Grade K-2 Art Prompt – Ways I can show kindness
- Grade 3-4 Art Prompt – What empathy looks like to me
- Grade 5-6 Prompt – What it means to “walk in someone’s shoes”
- Secondary Prompt – How I see empathy in the world around me
Student entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Use of space
- Overall presentation
- Message and clarity
- How well artwork can be reproduced onto a poster
- Art teacher can register school to receive budget
- Now through December you can register your school. The sooner you register the sooner we begin the process of depositing the $100 into your school’s account for supplies.
- Art displayed at schools for judging
- By the end of January art must be displayed at school in the hallways. Let the Communication Department know when art is on display and we will take pictures, choose school winners and hang ribbons.
- Winners announced
- Feb. 7-12 winners will be chosen at each location.
Posters will be created from the winning district artwork for display around the city.
Questions contact: Shauna Sprunger email@example.com