An Intern Teacher is an educator who is a student at an accredited college or university who has met all graduation and licensing requirements except student teaching. Interns are assigned to schools under the direction of a mentor teacher. Interns teach full time, receive student teaching credit from the college or university, half pay and full benefits from the District. A year of intern status counts as the first year of Provisional Licensed Employee status within the District. An intern year does not count toward a Level 2 license from the State.
Become a substitute teacher
In compliance with state and federal mandate, Provo City School District requires all non-supervised volunteers over the age of 18 to be registered, fingerprinted and to have a cleared background check. Registration is kept at the District Office for information purposes only. Fingerprinting is done electronically and sent to Bureau of Criminal Identification for review. Below is a chart which explains the volunteer processes:
The Teacher Needs To:
- Notify the Location Secretary of volunteers in their classroom.
- Verify with the Location Secretary that the volunteer has completed necessary procedure before allowing them to do volunteer hours.
- Use only registered and fingerprinted volunteers.
The Location Secretary Needs To:
- Have a completed Volunteer Agreement signed by the Administrator on file for each volunteer.
- Provide the Volunteer Information & Procedure to ANYONE who uses volunteers (i.e. teachers, facilitators, aides, etc.)
- Notify the teachers when a volunteer has completed the registration and fingerprinting process.
- Provide the Volunteer with all information needed to register with the District.
The VOLUNTEER needs to:
- Need to bring a completed Volunteer Form from their location signed by the Administrator.
- Register and be fingerprinted at the Provo City School District Office 48 hours PRIOR to volunteering.
- Pay the fingerprinting fee of $42.00
- Return the Fingerprinting Confirmation sheet to the Office.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Volunteers
Where do I go to get registered and fingerprinted? Volunteer Registration and fingerprinting is done at the Provo City School District Office which is located at 280 West 940 North, Provo, UT.
When can I get registered and fingerprinted? Volunteer Registration and fingerprinting is done every day (Monday through Friday) from 1:00pm to 4:30 pm. There is no need to make an appointment.
What do I need to bring to be registered and fingerprinted? You need to bring a Volunteer Form signed by an Administrator, your ID and fingerprinting payment forty-eight (48) hours prior to volunteering.
Do I need to pay for fingerprinting? Everyone, except Provo School District teachers who are recertifying, is required to pay for fingerprinting and background check.
What is the cost of fingerprinting? The total cost for fingerprinting and a background check is $42 which breaks down into a $20 fingerprinting fee and $22 charge for the background check. All Provo City School District employees and volunteers are required to pay the full $42.
How can I pay for fingerprinting? You may use cash, check or credit card to pay for the fingerprinting/background check fee.
How long does it take? The actual fingerprinting procedure takes no longer than 10 minutes.
What if my volunteer form is not signed by an administrator? You will be asked to go back to your school/location and have the form signed before you are able to register and be fingerprinted.